Saturday, July 31, 2010

A soft place to land

I've always been that strong, pull-yourself-up-by-your-bobby-socks kind of girl. You know, the quiet one in the corner that sometimes comes off as aloof. It's gotten better over the years when I finally figured out that people took my insecurity as judgment, and I forced myself to be more open. Still, at the end of the day I stand alone regarding many issues in my life. Why is it that women desire to connect with others, yet when we hurt we hide?

I have two dear friends who just this week have had serious issues cross their paths. We won't get into the details, but both came to me in a flurry, overwhelmed, needing a moment to just vent. As soon as they got it off their chest, they felt guilty, apologizing profusely and reprimanding themselves for bringing it up. "I don't want to bother you...Sorry, I didn't mean to dump that on you...I know your busy.."

Really? Ladies why do we do that?

I'll always stop whatever it is I'm doing and listen. I believe that relationships are more important than anything and I view it as an honor when someone reaches out to me. I know what it's like to stand alone...it sucks. We all need friends who won't think your husbands a complete ass because he did whatever, or judge our sometimes ridiculous choices. Friends are a gift; and that gift gets more precious with every passing year. We all need a soft place to land.