Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Nevermore Review

I've had Nevermore on my shelf for a while now. Actually, I went to a book signing about a year back, got a signed copy but ended up giving it to my niece, wanted to read it and borrowed it from a friend, gave it back unread (because she wanted to reread) and then finally got my own copy. Long story short--the book was worth the wait!


Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares. 


What I loved: 
Simply put ... the writing. Kelly Creagh is an amazing author. Her rich vocabulary, imagery, and symbolism bring this story to life. The characters are well rounded, and Creagh has a wonderful way with words. Isobel is a strong protag, and Varen isn't the typical bad boy at all. The story is fresh and original, and I enjoyed the fact that so much of Poe's personal life was interwoven into the story line. 

My Pinch Points: 
I'm never a big fan of stereotypes. We live in a world that is diverse, complex, and extremely chaotic. Most high school kids have friends that could be considered goth, gay, redneck, black, white, grunge, popular, jock, skaters, and so on ad nauseam. Even though the high schools still have subcultures, most students that are forced to interact with someone different are not "horrified". They may be uncomfortable, or feel awkward, but it doesn't completely rock their world. The fact that Isobel would be so outraged over a project, and that her jock boyfriend would be such a jerk about a project she needs to stay on the cheer squad is unrealistic. 

I won't give anything away, but there are about two or three chapters that are just flat confusing toward the end. It may be the fact that I read well into the night, and at two in the morning I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I found myself skimming during these chapters hoping that I wasn't missing something important.

Overall:
Once we got past the rich-kids-making-poor-kids-feel-inferior-while-the-cheer-squad-shuns-the-protag-for-having-to-do-a-project-with-the-king-of-the-goths, the story takes off. Even though I found myself a little confused at times, the rich writing and great characters more than made up for it!

Paranormal fans, you'll want to check this one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment