Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wordsmith Wednesday Teaser #1



 Welcome to our first official Wordsmith Wednesday! It's a meme created by the writers of Chirenjenzie to highlight teasers from author's up and coming works. We'd love it if you'd join us! Here are the guidelines: 

* Post must be from a current work-in-progress (WIP). Nothing already published.
* You may choose from any section of the manuscript, but be mindful not to include spoilers.
* Keep it clean and YA audience friendly, please. No erotica.
* Stay under 300 words or about one page. It can be as little as a few lines if you prefer. We just want to give readers a chance to see everyone's selection.
* Link back to Chirenjenzie so we can enjoy others' work as well!
* Include the guidelines in your post.

And now on to a little teaser from the third book in the Kailmeyra series, The Heart of the Ancients.  Enjoy!
Rena stormed across the room. Rumpled, tired, and looking more than a little grumpy, she flopped down in the chair and took a long drink from her goblet, setting it down with a decided thump. 

“Having a good day?” I asked. She aggressively exhaled, her eyes stayed fixed on the group across the way. 

“That’s the last time I help Tark and Weylin with the recruits.” Her normally graceful brows lowered in two sharp lines. “Tark asked if I would put the new warriors through their paces by using my little gift.”  As the Keeper of the Field, Rena could call on the land to help defend, if needed. Her abilities had saved our hides several times over. 

I turned in my chair to face her. “What happened?” 

Her scowl became more pronounced. “At first, all was well. The terrain responded to my call, and I had the young ones contained with vine and loam. And then he showed up.” She jerked her head toward Weylin. “It seems his practice with you has given him insight to exploit my weaknesses as well. And apparently your mate,” her voice went up as she emphasized her words, “has given Weylin permission to test not only you but all the keepers as well.” 

I glanced across the room. The fact that Rena referred to Gavin as anything other than the prince should have offended him. As it was, he rubbed his cheek in a poor attempt to hide his smile. 

“So what did you do?”

“What do you think?” she grumbled. “I lost my concentration, the young warriors charged, and I was overrun.” She glared across the room once more. Tark purposefully avoided her gaze, but Weylin openly grinned.

“Don’t worry.” I patted her hand. “Next time, we’ll work together and pummel Weylin to dust.”

Rena’s jasper brown eyes glittered at the thought. “I would love nothing more.”

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am so excited for you.....and me. I have to admit Weylin is my new favorite character(next to Gavin,Nora, and Rena) and I do hope he gets his "happy ending" maybe with Noras' human friend Katie *wink wink*

    My friend is LOVING your books by the way. Thank you so much for sending the signed copies and they truly couldn't have arrived at a better time for her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Weylin too! And so glad to hear it about your friend!

    ReplyDelete