Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Evil Mr. HTML















Most of you that know me understand that I love to learn. I think it's the teacher in me, but when I discover something new it feels like Christmas morning.

That is, until I met my arch nemesis, Mr. HTML.

I took on the publishing industry like a mad woman. ISBN numbers, catalogs, royalties in various markets, marketing, along with the vast differences between formatting ebooks and that of standard soft covers ... yeah, I ate that for lunch. Why then is it so stinking hard to learn HTML?

Now for those of you that complain about blogspot, let me tell you I absolutely love blogspot. It's easy. There is very little in the way of learning coding and how it works. It's pretty much a click and drag, which is great for someone that works two jobs and writes in the wee hours of the morn. Wordpress ... ahhh, my head hurts even thinking about it.

It started a few years back when a dear friend of mine set up my site, which I adore. I thought she was going to use a standard wordpress format, but she surprised me with a gorgeous header and wonderful pages. I was thrilled beyond words. The problem is that I'm not exactly a genius when it comes to updating websites, and I have no clue how she did what she did. Thus began my battle with coding.

I've just spent the past five hours sitting in this chair looking at gibberish. I dropped a line of code on the sidebar somewhere and I can't figure out what I did wrong. As the slashes and dashes are starting to blur under the concentrated scrutiny, I'm giving it a rest for tonight.

Although the author site definitely is a work in progress, I'd love to know what you think. Any advise you  have would be greatly appreciated! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment