Thursday, June 9, 2011

Throwback Thursday

During the baby boomer era, television was a novelty. Families gathered around the tube once a week to watch The Ed Sullivan Show or Red Skelton, but, for the most part, TV was a passing fancy.

Not so with my generation.

We watched as much TV as possible, often getting up early for Saturday cartoons. I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood, where most families owned only one television. Watching family shows was the accepted practice of the day. My father often made me sit through football games and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, but here are a few I'd make him sit through as well. 

Wonder Woman
Who doesn't love this? A woman who was strong (literally), yet still feminine. This was one of the first shows that explored the "I am woman, here me roar" phase of the 70's. Linda Carter's tiny waist and big boobs were something girls dreamed of having and boy dreamed of touching. Who didn't love her blue eyes and magic lasso?




The Brady Bunch
Corny, hokey, but still loved, The Brady Bunch helped shape a generation. I often think that if we had more shows where families stuck together, where siblings stood up for one another, and where bullies weren't celebrated our society would be a little better off. Instead, this generation watched shows that celebrate being 16 and pregnant, or some drunk teen that sticks her ta-ta's in beer pong cups for luck. And we wonder why kids seem out of control these days ... but that's for another post.

What's your favorite childhood TV show?

1 comment:

  1. My favourite childhood show was I Dream of Jeannie. Just something about a girl who just has to blink her eyes to get what she wants and live in a bottle lined with plush pink pillows. /grins

    ReplyDelete