Saturday, November 20, 2010

When negativity rules

This week has been a real bugger. Negativity has ruled in all things, the kiddo's at school were berserk, the house is a wreck, and my life is spinning out of control. What happened? Last week was full of sunshine, daisies, and progress.

This morning, I took a cup of coffee to the back porch and watched the dog chase a few rabbits. My mind purposefully traced back over all the things I'm grateful for. Kate and Al are making great grades, we saw the Harry Potter premier, and the project I've been working on for the past six weeks is almost complete. I have a lot to be grateful for, so why was last week such a disaster?

As I watched Lucy stalk a bird and then bark at it when it flew away, I realized that she just accepts the situation for what it is. She was happy to stalk the bird, and then she was happy to bark at it when it escaped. Her attitude never waivers; she accepts the changes for what they are ... change. Sometimes I wish I was a dog. Free will can be a bitch.

It then it hit me, I didn't have a bad week last week because everything around me was negative. I had a bad week last week because I allowed that negativity to affect my perception, my thoughts. I focused on it,  I spoke negative words, I allowed my surroundings to affect my thinking, and then it really did become reality.

It's rare I forget the power of positive thought. It would be interesting to see what would happen if I could do this past week over. If everything stayed the same, except my attitude. If I had not allowed negative people to get under my skin. Sure, it's a lot harder to do that when everyone seems to be having a bad week, but that doesn't mean I should have one too.

I think next time I'll remember the wise words of Edna.... "you can't choose how the world treats you, Sunny, but you can choose how to react to it."

So now I want to know. Is it just me, or was you week a little darker too? And if so, how did you react to it?

5 comments:

  1. nice post, I really needed this perspective today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I try to remain positive too but sometimes you get overwhelmed and it's hard to see the light...
    Funnily enough my week was a little darker too.
    Bad news abounded, my health not so good...
    You have to take the good with the bad, tomorrow is another day.
    Best wishes,
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be something in the air! Today was much, much better so I think we've turned a corner. And Elle, I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oye, I think everyone had a difficult week. I was more anxious than anything, feeling as if I should be doing more, or further along than where I am, and I got frustrated and irritated with the situation. Got to remember Edna and to take those deep breaths and enforce some patience. It's the little things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you a false deadline queen too? I always set deadlines for myself (especially in writing) and then feel bad when I don't make the mark. Hey, next week's going to be great, I can feel it in my bones!

    ReplyDelete