Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Waking up to a whole new world

I've been so hyperfocused on writing, raising two terrific children and teaching countless others that I failed to recognize the changes in front of my own nose. Being a teacher, I know how to make a webpage, all the tricks to email, how to import grades into infinite campus, and your basic understanding of sharepoint. But over the past week, I've discovered that I failed to appreciate how technology has effected humanity. Communication in any form is my passion, and yet I'd never experienced the subtle humor of a tweet, I hadn't appreciated the way facebook inspires the weary, or encourages the insecure, I'd never valued the knowledge gleaned from a blog. It's refreshing to see that creativity flows where once I thought it to be extinct. It wasn't until I experienced the kindness of strangers, the support of my fellow writers that I realized how introverted and defensive I'd become.
It feels as if I have come out of my cave into a whole new world. Where I once believed cynicism ruled, I've discovered that friendship and imagination flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment