Monday, April 22, 2013

The Communication Conundrum

My life has gone to a whole new level of insanity. If you've been following me for a while, you know that I'm a checklist kind of girl. I start out the week with set goals to be done by Friday, then more goals for the weekend. Sometimes it's simply "schedule blogs posts" to "write 10K on the new work." Lately though, my list aren't one page, but three or four. And the tasks aren't as simple as get milk at the store.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving every minute of it, but sometimes in the 18-20-hour-work-day-that-seeps-into-the-weekend, I tend to overwhelm myself.
  
I can only imagine what I'm doing to those around me. :-)

Sometimes it's best to remember that perception is reality. We must never get so focused on the task at hand we lose site of the fact that the people around us may be just as crazy-busy as we are. Too, frustrating the dogsnot out of your team is never a good idea.

So I've asked my inner circle to remind me to take a breath and calm the crazy; not everything needs to be done today, and most projects I'm working on aren't make-or-break-life-or-death type things.

And so, as I'm taking a deep breath from my latest Tibetan-circular-breathing phone call, I think I'll share a little piece of advice my content editor gave to me.

Slow down, talk less, listen more, and remember that the best communicators leave people feeling productive, not overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment